Tuesday, December 2, 2008


Today I was working on an assignment for Humanities that I particularly enjoyed. I took Humanities The Heroic Journey. It's been a favorite class so far and continues to be. I have an assignment due on Friday called "The Odyssey Soundtrack". I know it sounds kind of silly but for me it was tons of fun. We had to come up with five pieces of music to accompany things that happened in The Odyssey which we read earlier this semester. One of the songs I picked was Samuel Hazo's Olympiada. If you've never listened to Sam Hazo's music I highly recommend it. He has a certain style in the way he composes. Everything is very dramatic and each song tells a different story which is why I love his music. When I went to WIBC in 2007 we got to play Bridges in my band (I think). It was a lot of fun and he really is a FANTASTIC musician.

Samuel Hazo's music reminds me why I've kept playing all these years. It's not exactly because I particularly love the Clarinet or because I'm the most fantastic player. I've kept up with it because when you play with a good group you get to create the kind of emotion I hear in Samuel Hazo's music. It's amazing. I got fed up this semester with my Clarinet because of how difficult I found private lessons to be and I've seriously considered dropping it but if I can get into good groups like the ones capable of playing Hazo's music I will happily keep playing.

So that's my rant for today. Enjoy the blog and be sure to look up some of Hazo's music.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I found a clip of Olympiada online. wow! I can understand why you like it. Very dramatic. It must be a lot of fun to play.

Mrs. Kristina said...

It's amazing to play. It's neat to be right in the center and hear everything weave together. So cool!