Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Good Books and Gratitude

Have you ever been reading a book and all of a sudden you find you are relating almost exactly to one of the characters or another? For me it’s what makes a good book great, even when you realize that the piece of your life you are relating to something the author felt needed to be in print is a sad part of your life. What I love is when the author takes something she doesn’t realize you are feeling as well and puts it into the most elegant words. Words you’ve been searching for to describe it all. I’m reading First Day by an LDS author named Allyson Braithwaite Condie. This is the sequel to Yearbook. The first book is staged in High School and this one is in college. I’m not even halfway through and already I can tell I’m going to like it. (Granted I already have a very good idea of what’s going to happen.) There were a few paragraphs that I just loved and wanted to put in my blog tonight.

This first one I liked just because I’ve thought this way before. “Everyone walked around with the scars of their own trials and did the best they could most of the time. You had to remember that when you talked to people and tried to offer the gospel or you’d forget the whole spirit of compassion the Savior showed in His ministry. Some days you rose above it all and some days you just put one foot in front of the other and tried to keep your chin up and do what you were supposed to.” Although I would add a more positive note to the end of that paragraph. A positive note I think that in time the author will put in herself. In my experience (limited as it may be), the compassion mentioned is the key to keeping your head above water. When you feel like everything is overwhelming you and you are drowning in the trials that have been thrown your direction, compassionate service and following the Savior’s example are the best cure. I think it was in the Ensign recently, maybe a conference talk, that said something about how the dial of sorrow must point to each of us in turn at one point or another. We are blessed to have the gospel in our lives. A sure testimony that the Savior loves and cares for each of us is one of the greatest blessings when trials come our way.

The second paragraph that I just loved is something I noticed in Rexburg and again when the snow and ice decided to follow me home. “Looking at the landscape in front of me, I was surprised at how beautiful it was, even though it was painted mainly in shades of black and white and grey. It’s amazing what He can do with even a limited palette.” The world is incredible, isn’t it? I love taking pictures and my favorite thing is to get right into the face of a flower or a tree or even a rock. If you’ve never looked at the designs and texture on a rock, I encourage you to walk out to your garden, pick one up and just look at it. I mean it may not be a blooming rose or a rainbow sunset but it’s beautiful just the same. When I’m feeling sorry for myself I go out and find somewhere to sit and to be and to just look at everything. It’s truly remarkable.

When I started writing this blog I half expected it to be a “poor-baby-me” blog. That’s a little how I’m feeling tonight. But I think instead I want this blog to be a reminder to me of everything good I have in this world right now. I am home safe and sound, which is more than I can say for a few of my friends from college who are still being delayed because winter decided it was time to shake things up a bit. I have good friends who love me and care about me even though they might be a few states away. I have such an incredible family. They make me smile and laugh just thinking of them. There isn’t anyone on the face of this Earth I could possibly love more than I love my family. I have a car, I have presents to give to those I love, I have friends who are serving missions; serving the Lord, I have friends and brothers who want to serve missions. I can see, I can hear, I can sing, I can understand music, I can care, I can love, I can do SO MUCH! My life seems almost perfect when you can compare it to some and yet I can still find reasons to complain.

As I close this blog I hope you all will take a little time to look at your own lives and see the tiny ways the Lord directs your lives. Be grateful for the things you have, and even the trials that have been sent your way. They change you and make you who you are. Don’t wait for things to happen. Enjoy life now. I love you all. Good night.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Sweet messages, Miss Kristina. Thanks for sharing.