Friday, January 22, 2010

U of O and the Difference Between Good and Better

I have two thoughts tonight.

When I applied for Brigham Young University - Idaho I knew it was the only place I wanted to go. An LDS school on a small campus, and not in Utah. After being there for three semesters I have an incredibly high opinion of the school. The Spirit is very strong everywhere on campus. Everything is all I want in my education so far. After the Rose Bowl, however, I'm realizing that there is one part of college I'm missing out on. Football. I never thought I'd miss it. BYU-I does have a few football teams, but nothing big. I have a hard time believing the stadium has ever been completely full except maybe for Freshman Orientation on occasion. It's one small part of college I'm missing out on. It'd be nice to have a team to root for and get excited for.

I'm hoping, however, to end up at either BYU-Provo (I'm praying that that's not where I go), or U of O to get my Masters degree in Education after I finish in Idaho. Then I'll go to as many of the games as I can afford.



My second thought tonight is something I randomly thought of on the way home from work tonight. I think there's a difference bettween a good worker and a "better" worker. A good worker presses the proper buttons on the computer and fills the orders like a grocery list. A "better" worker takes the order while packing it, knows what a number 2 (a barbeque sandwich combo with a side and a drink), and a number 10 ( a big box meal with your choice of a thigh or a leg, two sides, a crispy strip, an individual popcorn chicken, a biscuit, and a large drink) off the top of their head, and makes sure the customer leaves happy, or at least won't call the store because of a miss packed order. Maybe the "better" worker has just been in the business too long. I'm grateful for my position at KFC. They're paying my way through college. The best way to repay them is to do my job to the best of my ability.

No comments: