Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sometimes I Pretend I'm a Dancer

I'm taking a Modern Dance class this semester because the dance classes I really want to take all require a prerequisite that's always full. I've actually enjoyed Modern Dance very much. I want to have plenty of dance experience in case I end up working at a school that can't afford for me to hire a choreographer for a production.

I started thinking about this last semester when a good friend talked me into jumping into a Beginning Jazz class with her. I've found that I'm not fantastic at dance, but I get A's in the classes and I pick up on the choreography fairly quickly.

Today in Modern Dance we were getting ready for our final. We are all in groups and we have to choreograph a group dance to a hymn. My group picked Hark, the Herald Angels Sing in light of the Christmas season. We split it into eight counts to choreograph. It's turned out to be a very nice dance with a little bit of a modern twist. I'm excited about it.



I practiced today in my tiny little room trying to figure out exactly what the footwork is for some of the turns. Needless to say I ran into things a few times.

No comments: